Skip to main content

Stoke-on-Trent Direct Payments

Direct Payments are an alternative way for people to receive support to meet their social care needs. A Direct Payment may be offered to meet some or all of your needs, following a social care assessment.  For children and their families, one way you can use this it to pay for a short break.

Direct Payments enable people to have more control and choice. Instead of the city council arranging services, Direct Payments means that a person can receive an allocated amount of money to organise their own support or care. It means that people can decide who will provide their service, how it will be provided and when.  This can be more flexible and provide consistent care staff to meet your needs.

You will get a lot of support to help you manage your Direct Payments. We will arrange for an Independent Living Advisor to work with you to set up the service, or services that you need.


Examples of how Direct Payments can help

Ways that you can use your Direct Payment must be agreed by your Social Worker or assessor, and must be detailed on your care plan, however here are some examples of how you can use your Direct Payments:

  • employ someone (a Personal Assistant) to provide support on days and times that suit you;
  • arrange and pay for care from a care agency of your choice, to support with washing and dressing for example, making meals or taking medication; or
  • arrange a mixture of the above;
  • purchase equipment;
  • access short break activities such as a day opportunity, trip to the theatre, or swimming, or you could save your direct payments to pay for a day out somewhere, rather than booking more regular shorter sessions.

You will need to send receipts, and bank statements to the financial assessment team, to evidence how you are using your Direct Payment on a regular basis.

There are some restrictions to what Direct Payments can be spent on. These will be explained to you if you are eligible for a Direct Payment.


Who can get Direct Payments?

If you are eligible for support from us (either for yourself, or because you provide regular care for someone else) then you can choose to take that support as a Direct Payment. You must:

  • be aged between 16-17 and have an EHCP in place
  • be up to 18 years of age and over should support be in place from Adult Social Care
  • be living in Stoke-on-Trent or caring for someone who lives in Stoke-on-Trent
  • have received an assessment from a social worker, which has shown that you are eligible for some support.

What can carers use the scheme for?

If you are a carer, you may be able to get Direct Payments to pay for services which give you a break or some time off from caring, such as paying for an activity for the person you care for.


How can you ask for a Direct Payment?

If you have a social worker, you can ask them if you might be eligible for a Direct Payment. If you do not have a social worker, you can call 01782 235100 to speak to the Children’s Advice and Duty Team.


What happens when you contact us?

When you contact us, we will ask you some questions to find out more about you including your age, name and address, and we might ask you what type of support you feel may help you or the person you care for.

If we can help you, the information gets passed onto our assessment teams and a specially trained worker will help you to find out what support would be best for you. A Social Worker or Social Work Assistant or Personal Assistant will then visit you at home and assist you through the process.

If you need any services to keep you safe and well whilst the Direct Payment is being set up, we will arrange these too.

Who to contact

01782 235100

Where to go

Civic Centre
Glebe Street


Sign in to write a review

Back to top