Skip to main content

Kingsland CE Academy

Kingsland CE Academy in Bucknall takes children from 3-11 years of age.  It is a mainstream school.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Nicole Hegewald
Contact Position
Special Educational Needs Coordinator
01782 234430
Secondary E-mail

Where to go

Kingsland C.E Academy
Eaves Lane
Off Werrington Road
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Contact Name
Miss Hegewald
Contact Telephone
01782 234430
Contact Email
Secondary Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
0-4 years
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?
  • Speech, Language and Communication
  • Autism
  • Physical Impairment
  • Learning difficulties
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Visual Impairment
  • Social and Emotional support
  • Mental health needs
  • Dyspraxia
  • Dyscalcula
  • Bereavement
  • Dyslexia.
How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know a child needs extra help if:

  • A Parent/Carer, teacher or child raises concerns.
  • Assessments (standardised assessments and levels) indicate that a child is working considerably below age related expectations and/or limited progress is being made.

What should I do if my child has special educational needs?

  • Contact the class teacher initially to raise concerns.
  • Miss Webb, who is the SEN Co-coordinator, is available to meet with you to discuss any concerns you have.  Appointments can be made with her via the school office.
How will the setting support my child/young person?
  • Each child at Kingsland CE Academy is valued equally irrespective of its starting point
  • All staff ensures that children with SEN (special educational needs) engage in the activities of the school alongside those who do not have SEN.
  • Each child’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher and in some cases, with the support of the SEN C0-ordinator. It will be differentiated to meet each child’s needs. This includes additional support by the teacher, teaching assistant and use of equipment and resources to help aid learning.
  • If a child has needs related to more specific needs of their education such as reading, spelling, writing, Maths and social and emotional needs, then the child will be placed in a small focus group which will be run by a teacher or teaching assistant.  Interventions at Kingsland are generally run for a term.  This is monitored closely through pre and post intervention data, discussions with the teacher, teaching assistant and SEN Co-coordinator and in half-termly pupil progress meetings.  All of this information together informs future planning, interventions and provision.
  • Occasionally a child may need support from outside agencies such as speech and language therapy, Educational Psychology, SEND services and medical advisors.  A referral will be made with your consent and forwarded to the appropriate agency. Following this, a programme of support will be given to the school and parents/carers.
How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?
  • A child with special educational needs will have their work differentiated by the class teacher to make the curriculum more accessible.
  • Special equipment such as writing slope boards, pencil grips, adapted scissors and coloured overlays are given to children if needed.
  • A teacher or teaching assistant may be assigned to work with a child in a one to one or small group to target their specific educational needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be placed on the SE register (as either SEN support or having an educational health care plan (EHC) or statement and will be given an individual education plan (IEP) termly. Children who are being identified as possibly having special educational needs, will take part in interventions and receive support from the teacher and teaching assistant but will not necessarily have an IEP. Targets will be set according to their area of need (which may be Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, emotional and mental health difficulties and Sensory and/or Physical needs).  The class teacher and the SEN Coordinator will monitor these closely.  A copy will be given to the parent or carer and the parent or carer will be given the opportunity to meet with the class teacher to discuss progress termly.
  • The SEN Coordinator may liaise with the SEND (Special educational Needs and Disability Service) advisor from the local authority or a wider range of professionals to get advice to enable a child to access the curriculum.
How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?
  • Class teachers use a range of information such as observations, assessments and children’s work to regularly assess their progress. This information shapes planning and teaching. 
  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at termly special educational needs meetings, which will be held at the end of each term.  During these meetings, your child’s work and assessments will be shared so you know how much progress your child has made. 
  • For some children, who require considerable support at school, a home/school diary is sent home so that parents/carers and school staff have regular contact and share important information about the child.
  • For children with an Educational Health care plan (EHCP) or a statement, they will have annual reviews involving all agencies involved with their child to discuss their progress and adjust provision for the coming year.
  • Written reports are sent home at the end of the academic year.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

During parents meetings, informal discussions and termly special educational needs meetings, the class teacher will suggest ways that you can support your child.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

Kingsland CE Academy offers a wide variety of pastoral support for children and their families who are experiencing emotional difficulties. 

These include:

  • Signposting to relevant agencies, for example, the NSPCC.
  • Intervention groups focusing on self-esteem and emotional well-being.
  • Care Plans drawn up in consultation with the school nurse, parents, carers and class teachers. 
  • There are a number of staff who have been first aid trained.
  • School has a home/school link worker available to talk to parents and carers (Mrs Evans).
What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.  These include:

  •  Educational Psychologist
  •  CAMHS
  •  Educational welfare officers
  • Social Services
  • Child Protection Advisors
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Behaviour Team
  • Visual Impaired Team
  • Hearing Impaired Team
  • School Nurse
  • Health Visitors
  • SEND Services. 

An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school and would only work directly with children who are referred to him or her and have not responded to interventions previously. This service is planned during termly school reviews, which are held with the SEN Coordinator and class teachers.  In order to understand the child’s educational needs, the  Educational Psychologist will meet with the parent/carer and give feedback after the assessment has been completed.  He or she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers how to support the pupil to take their learning forward.    

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?
  • Dyslexia training
  • Talking Maths training
  • SULP Training (Social use of language training)
  • Spirals training
  • Behaviour training
  • ASD (Autism) training
  • How to be an effective special educational needs teaching assistant
  • Precision teaching training
  • Adapting PE to support children with physical disabilities
  • Anger Management training
  • Mapa (Managing of actual or potential anger training)
  • Epilepsy and Asthma training
  • First Aid training
  • Safeguarding level 1 training
  • Social  stories training
  • Makaton training
  • Selective Mutism training
  • Relax Kids Yoga training
  • Working with parents with children with special educational needs training.
  • Differentiation for children with special educational needs
  • The SENCO successfully gained the national award for SEN co-ordination and attends termly meetings with the local educational authority for special educational needs updates.
How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.  Alongside parents/carers, risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.  However if it is deemed that an intensive level of one to one support is required, a parent/carer or teaching assistant may be asked to accompany the child during the activity. 

How accessible is the environment?

As an academy we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.  Facilities that we have present include one toilet adapted for disabled users, an automated physiotherapy couch and a lift.  All of our classrooms are on the ground floor and technology can be made available to meet the needs of the individual children.

How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

Many strategies are in place to enable the child’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include discussions with the previous or receiving schools prior to the child joining/leaving.  All children attend transition sessions where they spend time with their new class teacher.  Additional visits are arranged or children who would benefit from more time at their new school.  Photographs and transition booklets are used when appropriate to support children with their transition. 

Miss Webb, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator is always willing to meet with parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.  Miss Webb liaises with other Special educational Needs Coordinators to pass on information regarding special educational needs children.  Here professionals share data about children’s attainment and strategies that have been sued to support the child.  Secondary school staff visit children prior to joining their school.  Where children have more specific special educational needs an additional meeting may be set up between the Primary and Secondary Special Educational Needs Coordinators with the parents/carers and where appropriate with the child.

How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year and the money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individuals need.  The additional provision may be allocated after discussions with the class teacher and at termly meetings or if a concern is being raised at another time in the school year.  These resources may include deployment of staff depending on the child’s circumstances and where a child is entitled to pupil premium funding, this will be used to meet their needs.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher and Special Educational Needs Coordinator and decisions are based upon termly tracking of children and as a result of national curriculum assessments, standardized assessments and assessments carried out by outside agencies. 

Where, despite having taken relevant action to identify, assess and meet the special educational needs of the child, the child has not made expected progress, the school or parents should consider requesting an educational health care needs assessment.

How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

Staff will involve children in decsions about their learning on a daily basis and when they are writing new passports each term.  Children may also be involved with the end of term SEN termly reviews.

How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

Parents are able to contact class teachers at any time to discuss their child's learning.

Termly SEN meetings with the class teacher also take place and during these,  parents are fully involved in the decision making of their child's leanring. 

How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.  This may be through: discussions with the class teacher during progress meetings, discussions with Mrs Barrett or other professionals.  Parents are asked to give their views throughout the year through parent questionnaires and parent focus groups.



What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?

Speak to the class teacher in the first instance, then the SENCO and then the Headteacher or Deputy Headteacher.

What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?

SENDIASS can be contacted by parents if they need further advice. 


Sign in to write a review

Back to top