Skip to main content

Milton Primary Academy

Who to contact

01782 234780

Where to go

Leek Road
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
0-4 years
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?

The types of SEN the school caters for are;

1) Speech, Language, Communication

2) Learning, cognition

3) Social, Emotional, Mental Health Difficulties

4) Physical, Sensory

Below is a glossary of the most common SEN terms.


Attention Deficit Disorder


Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder


Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Behavioural Emotional & Social Difficulties


Hearing Impairment


Moderate Learning Difficulty


Physical, Sensory


Social, Emotional, Mental Health Difficulties


Special Educational Needs


Special Educational Needs & Disability


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Speech, Language, Communication Needs


Specific Learning Difficulty


Visual Impairment

How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know when pupils need help if: • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child • limited progress is being made • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress What should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs? • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns • If you have concerns then contact Mrs Jukes who is the SENCo

How will the setting support my child/young person?

Staff will support pupils by: • Ensuring that the provision delivered is matched to the age and stage of the pupils following the Early Years Foundation Stage Guidance. • Regularly checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCo know as necessary. • Writing Personalised Development Plans (PDP’s), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources. • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?

Class teacher input via high quality targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean: • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class. • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. • Different ways/methods of teaching are in place so that your child is fully engaged in class. This may involve things like using more practical or visual learning resources. • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or outside agency staff) are in place to support your child with their learning. • Your child’s progress will be reviewed through progress meetings with Senior Leadership staff and any identified gaps in their understanding/learning will be met through intervention and/or extra support to help them make the best possible progress. Depending on your child’s needs they may access one or more of the following types of support with their learning: A) Targeted small group work: This group work, often called intervention group work, may be : • Delivered in the classroom or outside in a quiet area. • Delivered by a teacher or most often a Learning Support Assistant who has had training to deliver this type of intervention learning. B) School based Special Educational Needs support (which means your child has been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school in addition to intervention group work and differentiation within the class) For your child this would mean: • Your child will have a Personalised Development Plan. • He/ She will engage in individual work and/or group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress. Supported by the Teacher or Teaching Assistant. This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning. C) Specialist SEN support (which means that your child has been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside of the school (of less than 20 hours in school). This may be from: • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need) • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy Service or the Early Years Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT or EYSLES). For your child this would mean: • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo (or you will have raised your concerns) as needing more specialist input instead of, or in addition to, quality first teaching, School Based SEN Support and intervention work. • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward to aid their progress. • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school. • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include: o Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better o Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise o A group delivered by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group o A piece of group or individual work with an outside professional • The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. School will discuss with you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place. D) Support provided through an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means that your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo/specialist professional as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside of the school. This may be from: • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need) • Access to Learning Team – behaviour support team • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service. • Paediatrician For your child this would mean: • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child. • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to require a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support provided already in school. • After the reports have been submitted to the Local Authority they will decide if your child’s needs require more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Education, Health and Care Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support already provided by school and there will be a meeting to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. • The Education, Health and Care Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the Local Authority and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put into place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child. • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, deliver individual programmes or carry out small groups including your child. • A specialist teacher may be employed to work with your child if recommended in the Education, Health and Care Plan. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong and require more than 20 hours of support in school.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?

You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings. Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCo by visiting the school office. How will you help me to support my child’s learning? • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so that similar strategies can be used. • The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have. • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you along with the outside professional involved, or where this is not possible, in a report. Programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home. • Personalised Development Plans will be reviewed with your involvement each term. • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include: • Members of staff such as the class teacher, Home School Link Worker and SENCo are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. • School Counselling Service. Pupils with medical needs • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil. • Staff receive regular asthma training and any other training required for the needs of specific pupils in their care e.g. diabetes. • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school, but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. • All staff have basic first aid training.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include: • Autism Outreach Team • Child Protection Advisors • Educational Psychologist • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service) • EWO (Educational Welfare Officers) • Physical & Sensory Service to support pupils with hearing/visual Impairment • Inclusion Team (SEND) • Vulnerable Children and Corporate Parenting Intervention • Children’s Therapy Team (Speech & Language/Occupational Therapy) • School Nurse • Early Years Forum An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. He/she would normally only work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be complex and who have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better; the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

Several members of staff have received training related to SEND. These have included sessions on: • How to support pupils who are on the autistic spectrum. • How to support pupils who have dyslexia or dyslexic tendencies. • How to support pupils with social and emotional needs. • How to support pupils with speech and language difficulties. • How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs. • Being an effective LSA for children with SEND Milton Primary School has ‘Dyslexia Friendly Status’ and all staff are due to be trained on the New Code of Practice for SEN in September 2014.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and school visits are available to all: • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity. • Where it is deemed that it may be unsafe for a pupil to go on a school visit the school would invite parents/carers to accompany their child taking responsibility and to support their child.

How accessible is the environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include: • Ramps into school to make the building accessible for some year groups. • A toilet for disabled users.

How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. • If your child is joining our school: o We will contact the previous school/setting to discuss your child’s individual needs and any special arrangements or support that they are currently receiving. o We will obtain all records about your child and request that they are transferred as soon as possible. • If your child is moving from Milton Primary to another school: o We will contact the school’s SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that has been made for your child. o We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. • When moving classes in school: o Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Personalised Development Plans will be shared with the new teacher. o If your child requires further support with their transition into their new class specific arrangements will be made. E.g. photographs of new members of staff to take home, extra sessions with new members of staff. • In Year 6: o The SENCo will liaise with the SENCo of the secondary setting to discuss how a smooth transition can be managed and the provision and support that needs to be in place for your child. o Your child will visit their new school and take part in the transition programme offered by the secondary setting.

How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

• The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND. The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school or additional support and resources dependant on an individual’s needs. • The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including: o the children getting extra support already o the children needing extra support o the children who have been identified as not making expected progress And then decide what resources/training and support is needed. • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher, SENCo and the Headteacher. These decisions will then be agreed by the SEND advisor for our school and you as parents will be informed via your child’s class teacher and parents will be informed. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and participation in class. These decisions can also be made as a result of assessments by outside agencies. During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to your child’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.

How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

They will be invloved in reviewing their targets on their Pupil Passport and will be asked about what helps them to learn on a day to day basis.

Pupils are consulted and asked for their views as part of the Annual Review process if they have a Statement of SEN or an EHCP.

Pupils contribute ideas and say what they would like to find out about when planning the learning of a new topic in their class.


How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher.
  • During parents' evenings.
  • Comments in home /school diaries and planners
  • During discussions/meetings with SENDCO, Home-School Link worker or other professionals.
  • School questionnaires
  • Pupil Passport Review meetings
  • Annual Review meetings for Statements of SEN and EHCPs
How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to and take an active role in their child’s education. This may be through: • discussions with the class teacher /communicating through home-school diary • during parents’ evenings • during discussions with Mrs Jukes (SENCo) or other professionals • Personalised Development Plans will be reviewed with your involvement each term. Parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s PDP with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.

What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?

Any complaint is dealt with sensitively and promptly.

1. The initial point of contact is the child’s class teacher

2. Appointments may also be made with the SENCO initally, if further concerns then the Head of School (Miss Wright)

3. If any person feels that their complaint has not been dealt with adequately by the school staff, they are able to contact the named Governor of Special Educational Needs and Disability, Mr Jon Lovatt, who will report their concerns to the Governing Body.


4. In addition, the Local Education Authority provides a disagreement resolution service, telephone number on display in the entrance hall. The LA also provides a parent partnership service (SENDIASS) see Question 17 for contact details.

What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?

Contact the SENCO (L Jukes) or Home/School Link Worker (L Parry) for leaflets/information about a range different support groups and additonal services availiable to support the parents/carers of children with SEND. Some leaflets are on display in the school office.

The LA provides a parent partnership service to support with and guide parents/carers with regards to SEN (SENDIASS)

Tel :  (01782) 236414




Sign in to write a review

Back to top