Skip to main content

Goldenhill Primary Academy

At Goldenhill Primary Academy we provide an excellent foundation for your children to develop as individuals and are committed to enabling all pupils to fulfil their potential. We hold dear important values such as outstanding behaviour and mutual respect for one another regardless of age, gender, religion and academic ability. At Goldenhill we ‘Develop the Individual’.

The aim of our provision is to encourage and foster a love for learning. We believe that this is the key to academic success and are continually striving to improve outcomes for our pupils. We are also a fully inclusive school and welcome applications from pupils with special educational needs or disabilities. 

We are a busy but friendly school, with lots going on.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mrs S Howson
Contact Position
01782 235790

Where to go

Goldenhill Primary Academy
Broadfield Road
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Contact Name
Mrs S Howson
Contact Telephone
01782 235790
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?

Goldenhill aims to provide a broad, balanced and inclusive curriculum for all children. We strive to make reasonable adjustments to all aspects of Academy life in order to achieve this. The kinds of Special Needs we provide for are varied but may include children with:

  • Visual impairments
  • Hearing impairments
  • Medical requirements
  • Autism / ASD
  • Dyslexia
  • ADHD
  • Moderate Learning Difficulties
  • Speech, Language and Communication Difficulties
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Physical Disabilities.
How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know when children need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child’s previous Academy or pre-school
  • the child’s progress and/or attainment is significantly below age related expectations
  • there is a significant or prolonged change in the child’s behaviour
  • a child asks for help

If your child is not making expected progress or if there is another indicator of concern the Academy will discuss with you:

  • any concerns you may have
  • any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • how we can work together, to support your child at home and at the Academy

Sometimes a child may need some short-term help if there is a change in circumstances e.g. a bereavement or family breakdown. Please talk to your child’s class teacher, the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), or the Head Teacher if you have any concerns or think that your child may have special educational needs. At Goldenhill, Mrs. Howson is the SENCO. Your concerns will always be taken seriously – your views on your child’s development and progress are always valuable.

How will the setting support my child/young person?

All children have individual needs. Children in our Academy with SEND will receive support that is specific to their individual needs. This may all be provided by the class teacher or may include:

  • other staff in the Academy
  • working in collaboration with staff from dual placements where applicable
  • working with staff who will visit the Academy from the Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • working with staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Occupational Therapists (OT)
  • an assessment by an Educational Psychologist or other specialists
  • working in 1:1 or small groups on a specific programme of work e.g. numeracy skills, literacy skills, nurture groups etc
  • providing special equipment/resources as required to support your child’s learning and development.

The class teacher (sometimes with the SENCO) will always explain to you what the concerns are and also explain to you what the plans for your child include. If outside agency support is required, we always ask your permission before making a referral. If you have any queries related to the interventions or support that your child receives, please contact the class teacher or the SENCO.

You will be asked if you have any thoughts, comments, concerns or worries at your child’s IEP review. Please do not feel that you have to wait until the review to bring up any concerns. Contact your class teacher straight away if you have any worries at all.

If a specialist professional works with your child, there may be recommendations that are made, which may include:

  • making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise
  • your child’s involvement in a group run by Academy staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
  • a group or individual work with outside professionals.
How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?

We aim to provide an inclusive, creative, child led curriculum that will equip children to be successful in life.

Our curriculum is designed to match your child’s needs by offering personalised learning which is differentiated according to their ability and their style of learning. This will develop their skills as learners and help them to become more independent, enabling them to progress and reach their full potential. The classroom environment may also be adapted to suit individual needs e.g. providing a workstation or a visual timetable. Where a child has been identified with SEN, their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. Regular assessments identify the gaps in your child’s learning / understanding. This information is used to plan future provision.

Regular parents’ evenings also provide opportunities for parents/carers to discuss the curriculum with the class teacher.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?

Class teachers are always happy to discuss how well your child is doing; IEP reviews are held termly and are an opportunity for you to ask questions about how well your child is doing and for us to advise you in how to support your child’s learning at home. However, these discussions do not need to be limited to the regular IEP meetings. You are always welcome to simply drop in and ask your child’s class teacher.

Annual reports and Parents evenings also provide information about academic progress. Some children may also have a home/Academy communication book so that parents/carers and teachers can monitor progress, record concerns or share achievements.

All reports from outside agencies are passed to you with their ideas for support or resources that may be used at home.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

The well-being of all of our pupils is our primary concern at Goldenhill. Children are supported with their social and emotional development throughout the Academy day, through the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL) are integral to our curriculum.

Small group well-being sessions may be timetabled into the school day for children who require social and emotional support.

Additional support from specialist staff is arranged as needed for individual pupils, both in and out of the classroom; a tailored personal plan may be put in place for pupils with the highest need

Our Behaviour Policy; which includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions is fully understood and in place by all staff.

We regularly monitor attendance, support pupils returning to Academy after absence and take the necessary actions to prevent prolonged unauthorised absence.

Relevant staff are trained to support medical needs and in some cases all staff receive training. We have a medical policy in place.

Pupils’ views are sought through Academy council and other forums.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

We have access to a wide range of specialist services which include:

  • Educational Psychologists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Academy Nursing Team, Paediatricians and GPs
  • Social Care teams
  • Child Protection Officers
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Children Missing Education Officers
  • Inclusive Learning Service ( including hearing and visually impaired services )
  • Physiotherapy
  • Parent Partnership.
What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

The Academy has an Academy development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole Academy training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in the Academy, such as ASD, dyslexia etc.

Individual teachers and support staff may attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and Academy visits are available to all children. Financial assistance via the Academy’s Pupil Premium allocation is available to ensure access to all activities where payment is needed. Where a professional makes a recommendation for a child to receive additional support out of Academy hours, parents will be supported and signposted to the relevant service.

For activities off Academy premises, risk assessments are carried out, and procedures are put in place to enable all children’s participation. If it is decided that 1:1 support is required to support a child, an additional staff member or a parent may be asked to accompany a child during the activity/visit.

How accessible is the environment?

We will always do our best to meet individual needs, and we are always happy to discuss individual access requirements. We have toilet and changing facilities adapted for disabled users. As part of the annual review of Academy premises carried out by the LA, accessibility issues are always considered in light of any individual needs.

We have an Accessibility Plan in place and where feasible, make reasonable adjustments to improve the accessibility of our environment to meet individual needs. Our policy and practice adheres to The Equality Act 2010

Please refer to the Accessibility Plan for Disabled Pupils on the Academy website for more details on how we are able to support your child in school.

How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

Induction for all Early Years children usually takes place at the end of the Summer Term, and includes visits to the Academy, and an induction meeting for parents. The Academy normally offers optional Home Visits where the Early Years team will visit parents and their children in the home environment, this has unfortunately been postponed due to COVID 19. Staff now carry out these induction meetings via telephone.

For children who transfer mid-year, LA procedures are followed. The LA’s ‘Local Offer’ is available on the Stoke on Trent City website and from a direct link on the Academy website. For children transferring at the end of Y6, additional transition visits are arranged with the secondary Academy, and additional meetings between parents and SENCOS are arranged as necessary. We will also make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.


If a child has a current Early Help assessment, we ensure that all professionals are involved in supporting the transition process.

How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The Academy budget received from the Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Senior Leadership Team, in conjunction with the Academy Business Manager, decide on the allocation of the total budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the Academy governors.

The Senior Leadership Team discuss all available information about SEND in the Academy, and decide what resources/training and support is needed. SEND funding is usually allocated to employ staff and outside specialists and to buy resources and equipment.

Where a child has significant needs that the Academy feels it cannot meet, or no longer meet, the Academy will apply for a statutory assessment of the child. This may lead to further support being provided by the LA through an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Parents can also request that the LA carry out a statutory assessment of their child’s needs.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Each child is assessed individually and a personalised package of support provided dependent on need. If these needs change, support is adjusted as necessary. Additional assessments from outside agencies will sometimes mean an increase of support and/or resources.

If a child joins from another Academy, information provided by the feeder Academy, along with our own assessments, will enable Academies to allocate resources/support for the child.

How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

Pupils with SEN and / or disabilities at Goldenhill Primary Academy are able to voice their ideas and opinions about their learning in a variety of ways.

This may be through:

  • Initial topic / learning journey assessments where children are asked what they already know and what they would like to learn about the topic. This then informs planning for future lessons.
  • Pupil surveys,
  • Input into their  IEP,
  • Pupil contributions to Review meetings,
  • Meetings between children and SENCo / SEND Link Governor,
  • Daily opportunities to reflect on their work, self assess and respond to suggestions.
How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

We work in partnership with parents to support each child/young person’s well-being, learning needs, progress and aspirations.

We operate an open-door policy to allow parents to contact their child’s class teacher with ease.

Parents are invited to become involved in Academy-life through a number of means e.g. The Family Forum, hearing children read and ongoing invitations to Academy events throughout the year. They are also asked for their views / opinions and ideas about their child’s learning on a regular basis through termly IEP reviews. At these reviews the parents and children are asked to express their views and opinions about their learning and are involved in the decision making process.

Our Governing Body includes Parent Governors/representatives.

How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?

Parents are invited to become involved in Academy-life through a number of means e.g.  The Family Forum, Reading breakfasts, parent / grandparent  breakfasts, watch me learn days, hearing children read and ongoing invitations to school events throughout the year. 

Our Governing Body includes Parent Governor representatives.

What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?

In the first instance, please make an appointment to see the SENCO who will be happy to hear your complaint and endeavour to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, please refer to the Academy complaints policy which can be found on the Academy website.

A copy of the Complaint Form is available on the school website or from the school office.

What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?

Special Educational Needs Assessment and Monitoring Service (SENMAS)

Tel: (01782) 231863



SEND Information, Advice & Support Service (SENDIASS)

Tel: (01782) 234701 or 234847




Stoke-on-Trent Safeguarding Children Board

Tel: (01782) 235100




Sign in to write a review

Back to top