Portland School & Specialist College
At Portland school we aim to give our young people the best possible start in life. We believe that to achieve their full potential young people need:
- The Literacy and Numeracy skills to function in a modern society
- The social skills to interact positively with others and make the best of their chances.
- The life skills to make good informed choices that impact positively on their lives.
Q.1 What kind of SEND does the school provide for?
As a Stoke on Trent Specialist Provision we have a designation of SEMH which stands for Social and Emotional Mental Health. SEMH is the primary need of the pupils who attend however some of our pupils may have a secondary need.
Q.2 How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?
- All pupils who attend Portland Specialist provision will have an EHC (Education, Health and Care) plan. Some pupils may still have a Statement of Special Educational Needs. These are gradually being transferred over to EHC, usually when a child or young person is at a key stage transition.
- If you think that your child may have other needs they can be discussed with the school or at the Statement/EHC review meeting.
- The school has support from an allocated Educational Psychologist and CAMHS to enable the school to assess needs and provide appropriate support.
Q.3 How will the setting support my child/young person?
- All pupils are taught in small class sizes (usually 7 pupils) with a qualified teacher and specialist support staff.
- Some pupils will access a range of support which can include a bespoke package to meet their needs.
- Flexible learning packages are also used to provide personalised support often with a view to successful post 16 transition.
- A tailored curriculum is provided, which reflects the National Curriculum entitlement but in addition meets the individual needs of our children and young people.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Portland School & Specialist School
Stoke on Trent
- ST11 9JG