Skip to main content

St Mary’s Catholic Academy

St Mary’s is a mainstream school which aims to include all pupils in all aspects of school life.

Who to contact

01782 234820

Where to go

Ford Green Road
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Our SEND Information Report
Local Offer Age Bands
0-4 years
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?

The school accomodates all SEND in line with the Equality Act 2010 and provision is available for all 4 areas of need outlined in the SEND code of practice.

At St. Marys we provide for the following types of SEND:

Communication and Interaction: ASD, SLCN

Cognition and Learning: MLD, SpLD

Social, Emotional and Mental Health: SEMH

Sensory and/or Physical: HI, VI, PI, MSI

How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

All children attending school will be monitored and observed in line with the relevant curriculum. Any concerns will be discussed with parents/carers The school operates an open door policy where parents/carers are able to speak with staff about concerns regarding their children. Appointments can be made to see staff or senior leaders or the schools Senco through the office. The school has a dedicated Special Educational Needs coordinator (Senco) who monitors your child and liaises with you and outside agencies if required. Parents Evening are held three times a year giving time for sharing progress and discussing the appropriate next steps for your child.

How will the setting support my child/young person?


All pupils are entitled to access quality first teaching regardless of their need and ability. The teacher will set suitable challenges, respond to pupils diverse needs and overcome potential barriers for pupils. The class teacher maintains responsibility of ensuring all pupils make progress.  Where a child has been identified with Special Educational Needs the SENCO will advise and support around effective provision and outcomes.


Children with special educational needs will be supported by their class teacher and support staff in class.  They may receive additional support in school, in class, on a one to one basis or within a group.   Children with special educational needs will have a pupil passport which will include the agreed support for your child, this will be kept in class; parents will be provided with a copy.  Effectiveness of this support will be monitored regularly by the class teacher and SENCo following the Assess, Plan, Do and Review cycle; where parents will be consulted.


How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?

All pupils will access a broad and balanced curriculum.  Adaptations and reasonable adjustments will be made and children’s interests will be taken into account so that all pupils engage.

Adjustments will be made to meet a child’s needs at all levels, whether this is providing support or equipment in class, in group work or on a 1:1 basis.  Planning will consider all level of abilities and work matched to the needs of all the children whilst still ensuring high expectations.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?


Class teachers will inform and involve parents where a child has been identified as requiring additional support. Intervention, support strategies and/or reasonable adjustments will be agreed with parents in order to achieve desirable outcomes.


If a child is identified as not making expected progress or the class teacher is concerned following observations a meeting will be arranged with parents to discuss concerns and plan the next steps. 

The school uses Assess, Plan, Do and Review cycle to monitor the impact of all its provision to ensure that all pupils are making expected progress.  This ensures early identification where pupils are not making expected progress and provision can be adapted to meet needs.

Concerns may be raised by class teachers and parents/ carers.Pupil observations may indicate that they have a need within the 4 areas of need.

St Mary’s hold many family learning events and you will be invited along to these.

On the school website there is a page dedicated to help supporting you in ways in which you can help your child.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?


The schools support overall wellbeing through pastoral, medical and social support.

In addition to classroom activities such as circle time and PHSE lessons and members of staff being readily available for pupils; the learning support mentor at St Marys provides support for the children on a 1:1 basis and in groups. This includes help for children who may be experiencing a variety of difficulties. 

If a child requires medical support the school nurse will be available to provide a care plan completed alongside parents.  The school has a pupil council where the views of children of the school can be expressed.



What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?


Where parents and staff feel it would be beneficial the school can liaise with outside agencies. Outside agencies will not be consulted without the agreement of parents. Agencies the school currently works with include Education Psychology, Occupational Therapy, SEND services, School Nurse, Health Visitor services, Speech and Language Therapy, CAMHS and Counselling services.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

The SENCO at St Mary’s holds the national SEN qualification.

Regular and ongoing training is received by all staff in school.  If staff are carrying out an evidenced based intervention this is done only once they have received the training. 

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

St Mary’s does ensures that all children are fully included in the wider school life. 

How accessible is the environment?

St Mary’s building is accessible to all.  We have a lift so that wheelchair users can access all levels.  Paper based information can be requested in larger print if required from the office.

How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

Transition days are planned in the summer term and start early on. Support for transition can be matched to the needs of the individual, if you feel your child needs additional support please speak to the class teacher who can help arrange this.

How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The SEN support across the school is entered into a provision map to help ensure that support is allocated appropriately.  SEN resources are located in school so that they are accessible to all.  Staff are able to request resources if they are not available in school.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

This will be discussed at review meetings between the teacher and SENCO and then agreed with you at parent-teacher meetings.  Depending on what level of support your child is receiving, specialist support agencies may have an input on the type and level of support your child receives. You will be given a copy of your child’s pupil passport that will state any support that your child is receiving. If you do not receive a copy, please request one from your class teacher.

How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

We believe that the children's voice is extremely important at St. Mary's. All children contribute to their pupil passport and give information about themselves that they want all adults who work with them to know. Teachers and support staff communicate regularly with children about the information included on their passport, their overall development and their achievements towards their passport targets.

How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

We have an open door policy at our school and if you have any concerns, queries or issues our staff are always on hand to help and discuss things with you. Staff at our school can also be contacted via telephone and meetings arranged where necessary.

We hold parent meetings three times per year, once per term. In these meetings teachers are able to share your child's progress with you and discuss your child's education.  At these meetings your child's targets will be shared with you.

How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?

SEN parent forums are held on a termly basis for parents with children who have special educational needs. Parent voice is held at school on a regular basis. You can get involved in the wider school by help supporting the PTFA that you are automatically a member of when your child attends St Mary’s.  If you would like to volunteer in to help support the school please speak to the school office.

What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?


As a school we hope that parents can work with staff to resolve any concerns they have. However, should a parent wish to make any complaints guidance can be found in the Complaints Policy.

What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?

Hearing Impaired Support Team- 01782 232538

Behaviour Support Service- 01782 238286

Educational Psychologist- 01782 233947

School Nurse- 0300 124 0366

Speech Therapy- Contact GP

PSCO- 0300 123 4455

SENDs r- 01782 232538

CAHMs Hub - 0300 123 0907

Emotional wellbeing/mental health support-


Sign in to write a review

Back to top