Skip to main content

St Johns CE (A) Primary School

St Johns CE (A) Primary School is a primary school for pupils from Nursery to Year 6.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mrs S M Bowyer
Contact Position
Head Teacher
01782 238889

Where to go

St Johns CE (A) Primary School
Wheatly Avenue
Trent Vale
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
0-4 years
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?

The school accommodates all SEND in line with Equality Act 2010 and provision is available for all 4 areas of need outlined in the 2014 SEND Code of Practice:


  • Communication and/Interaction- where Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others.
  • Cognition and Learning - where children have been identified as having moderate learning difficulties (MLD) or severe learning difficulties (SLD) or Specific learning difficulties (SpLD) affect one or more specific aspects of learning (this includes a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia) or profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD).
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health - where children and young people require additional or different provision to help support them through a range of social and emotional difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical – we work with outside agencies to provide support for children in our school with have sensory or physical difficulties. Some children will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning, or habilitation support. These difficulties can be age related and may change over time.
How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know if children need extra help if concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers, the child and if our data tracking system shows limited progress

How will the setting support my child/young person?

All lessons are differentiated according to ability/ pupils individual needs. This may include additional teacher/TA support. In addition to this and with parent/carer consent pupils may be offered extra interventions and small focus groups. These interventions will be reviewed regularly by the class teacher, SENCO and head teacher. Pupil progress meetings are held with class teachers each half term to discuss the progress of pupils and further support and strategies may be planned. Occasionally a pupil may need expert support from outside agencies such as Speech and Language therapy, educational psychologist, SENDS services, occupational therapy, Young Minds and special school outreach. A referral will be made with parent/carer consent. Programmes of support are usually given to school and parents/carers after assessments have been completed.

How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?

Work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. Teaching assistants may work with the pupil 1:1 or in a small focus group. There may be times when appropriate specialist equipment is required for the child. When a pupil is identified as having a special need, then they will work with parents/carers/school staff to create their own learning pupil passport according to their area of need. These will be regularly monitored. If a child has been identified as having an extra area of need, they may be issued with an Education, Health and Care plan form the Local Authority( from September 2014) Currently this known is a Statement of educational needs.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?

We will invite you to a termly meeting to discuss the pupil passport and the progress since the previous meeting. In addition to this teachers, the SENCO ,Head teacher and Home School Link Worker (HSLW) are available most days by visiting the school office. Annual written reports of your child’s achievement and progress will be sent to you. In the case of Education, Health and Care plans (Statements of educational Needs) an annual review will be held with all agencies involved. The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child during the pupil passport meeting, also if outside agencies have been involved and suggested programmes which need to be completed at home. Parents are regularly invited to observe good practice in the classroom of reading, phonics and maths.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

The school has a very positive and caring ethos for al pupils, where members of staff are regularly available for pupils to discuss any issues or concerns. In addition to this, we offer extra pastoral support for those who are encountering emotional difficulties. This may be done through regular mentoring, meet and greet, additional lunchtime activities and support, mediation, small group interventions for behaviour and anger management. In some cases external advice and agencies may be used.

Pupils with medical needs

If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed care plan is complied with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. This is then shared with the all the staff who work with the child. Staff receive asthma training and epipen training. Where necessary and with a medical consent form signed by parents/carers medicines are administered in school by an appropriate qualified first aider. There is a team of first aiders.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

The agencies used by school include: Educational psychologists SEND services CAHMS School nurse EWO Social services Outreach work Occupational therapists Speech therapists

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

Different members of staff have received various training on all aspects of SEN provision. These have included sessions on dyslexia, ASD, differentiation and speech and language difficulties and Stoke Speaks out Training. Our HSLW and a HLTA has undertaken the accredited Bullying course. The SENCO has the ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs’ accreditation.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

The school is fully inclusive for all children. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all children to participate in activities. On some occasions this may require parent/carer to accompany the child during the activity.

How accessible is the environment?

The school fully complies with the Disability Discrimination Act.

The main priorities in the school’s plan:

  • to ensure that discussed pupils are able to participate as fully as possible in all aspects of the school
  • to provide full access to a broad and balanced curriculum
  • to provide full access to the school environment
  • to provide full access to information in a variety of formats as needed.

Key Issues to ensure that all pupils have full access to aspects of school life.

How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

Many strategies are in place to ensure smooth transitions. These include discussions with previous or receiving school prior to leaving or starting. All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new teacher. In some cases additional visits are arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new setting. Children in Year 6 with a statement of educational need or Education, Health and Care plan have a transition meeting in the February before they start secondary school and the SENCO from the receiving high school is invited to attend this meeting and others if required.

How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The budget for SEN is allocated each financial year, the money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on a child’s individual need. In addition to this resources are purchased according to need and requirements.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The decisions are based on termly tracking data, assessments by external agencies, indemnification of needs by staff and funding allocation. Staff are timetabled accordingly by the Senior Leadership Team.

How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

At various times of the year all  pupils have the opportunity to answer questionnaires about their learning. Children who have a Statement of Educational Needs or and Education Health Care plan or a Pupil Passport, will discuss their targets with the class teacher or teaching assistant. The child/young person will be involved in reviewing their own targets three times a year. If children are withdrawn from class for intervention groups the adult running the group will explain what it is about and what the aims of the group are. The groups will be regularly reviewed


How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

At the start of the school year parents are asked to sign a home school agreement. At various times throughout the year parent questionnaires are sent out. Parents are given time to express their thoughts at termly parents evenings.

Parents of pupils with SEN are invited to meet with the class teacher once a term to discuss targets and progress, the views and comments made by parents/carers will be recorded on the pupil passport document. 


How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education through, regular reading, positive support and support with homework activities. Parents are invited to parents evening which are held termly. In addition to this parents are invited in to discuss the progress of the pupil passport termly. Annual reviews are held in consultation with parent/carers and other relevant agencies. Parents are encouraged to discuss with the class teacher, SENCO and head teacher any issues or concerns they may have with regards to their child at anytime.

What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?

At St John’s CE(A) Primary school, we are committed to working in partnership with parents/carers to meet the needs of all children in our school. If you have a question or concern about the provision for your child with SEN, then we encourage you to arrange a meeting with the class teacher.


If you wish to discuss your concerns further, you can contact the Head teacher and/or SENCO. This is in line with our ‘Parent/Carer Complaints Policy’.


Stage 1 – Expressing concerns to the class teacher

The vast majority of concerns can be dealt with quickly and effectively by the class teacher, before they become a major issue. If a parent/carer has a concern, it is best if it is dealt with at this informal stage, where the concern is expressed to the member of staff involved.

Expressing concerns/complaints to the Headteacher

It may be that the Headteacher has not been aware of the concern raised prior to this point. If the parent/carer feels that the concern has not been dealt with by the class teacher, an appointment can be made to see the Headteacher to discuss and try to resolve the issue. If following this initial meeting with the Headteacher a parent/carer would like to progress this discussion to a formal complaint, a detailed description of the complaint should be made in writing to the Headteacher.

Formal Stage - Stage 2 – Referral to the Headteacher

The complainant is invited to put their complaint in writing with the offer of assistance by the school staff if necessary.The Headteacher acknowledges the letter within 5 school days and provides an opportunity to meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint.

Formal Stage - Stage 3 - Review by the Governing Board

  • It is important that this review is not only independent and impartial, but that it is seen to be so. Therefore the full Governing Board should not consider complaints as a serious conflict of interest can arise. A written acknowledgement of the complaint is sent by the Chair of Governors within 5 school days.
  • The letter informs the complainant that the Governor’s Complaints Panel will hear their complaint within 20 school days of receiving the complaint. It will also inform the complainant of his/her right to submit any further documents relevant to the complaint.
  • The Chair/Vice Chair should invite the Headteacher to prepare a written report for the panel in response to the complaint.
  • The Chair of the Governing Board convenes a Governors’ Complaints Panel (which will normally consist of three members) appointed by the Governing Board.
What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?

At St John’s CE (A) Primary School:

  • Head Teacher – Mrs S M Bowyer
  • Home School Link Worker – Mrs Ramsden
  • SENCO – Miss Lovatt/ Miss Edwards
  • Contact via school office: 01782 238889 or

Special Educational Needs Assessment and Monitoring Service (SENMAS)
Tel: (01782) 232740


SEND Information, Advice & Support Service (SENDIASS)
Tel: (01782) 234701 or 234847
Stoke-on-Trent Safeguarding Children Board
Tel: (01782) 235100


Sign in to write a review

Back to top