Skip to main content

The Crescent Academy

The Crescent Academy is a large, 3 form entry, primary school situated in Meir. Our aim is to enrich the lives of all of the children who attend the school and to provide an education that meets their individual needs.

We pride ourselves on doing the very best for all of our pupils and provide them with the support they need.

If you are thinking about sending your child to our school please arrange to come and have a look around and we will be pleased to answer any questions that you have.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Miss P Cooper
Contact Position
Inclusion Manager
01782 318145

Where to go

The Crescent Academy
Pinewood Crescent
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
0-4 years
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?
  • The school accommodates all SEND in line with the Equality Act 2010 and provision is available for all 4 areas of need outlined in the 2014 SEND code of practice. This includes: Communication and Interaction, including ASD, Cognition and Learning, including spld, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties and Sensory and / or Physical Needs.
  • Pupils, and families of pupils, experiencing emotional, social or mental health difficulties are particularly well supported by a team of people including a wellbeing officer, learning mentors and a parent support worker.
  • We also provide high quality support for pupils with language and communication needs, particularly in the foundation stage.


How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers
  • there is a lack of progress despite good quality teaching
  • their attainment is significantly lower than peers
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour
  • a pupil asks for help
How will the setting support my child/young person?
  • Quality First Teaching provided by the class teacher.
  • The class teacher and / or SENCo will discuss additional support needs with parents.
  • A “sen support plan” with interventions / differentiation identified will be produced and discussed with parents, termly or more frequently as necessary.
  • Progress will be discussed during termly parents evenings.
  • Where possible pupil’s needs will be met in the classroom, by the teacher and teaching assistant.
  • When needed, specific interventions will be delivered to individual pupils or groups of pupils by the teacher, TA or a member of the inclusion team.
  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support form an outside agency such as speech therapy, peadiatrician, SEND advisers etc. Referral forms are then completed in conjunction with parents/carers and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. Advice from specialists is followed as closely as possible.
  • The inclusion manager and SENCo produce two reports per year for the school governors on the progress and attainment of pupils with additional needs and the effectiveness of interventions. The governors support and challenge leaders to ensure best practice is delivered.

If you have any queries related to additional support please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher, Foundation Stage SENCo or Inclusion manager.

How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?
  • All staff have high expectations for the progress and achievement of pupils.
  • We aim to provide an inclusive, creative, enriching curriculum that will equip children to be successful in life.
  • When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily e.g. by providing more visual support or presenting data in different formats.
  • The teacher may allocate a teaching assistant or support assistant to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, sensory cushion, pen/pencil grips or easy to use scissors.
  • Teachers’ planning will be based on ongoing assessments of pupils. Classroom Monitor is used to aid the assessment and planning process.
  • Pupils entering Year 1 who are not able to access the National Curriculum will be planned for and assessed against the Stoke-on-Trent Additional Learning Tree resource.
How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?
  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at termly parents evenings.
  • Pupils will be encouraged to give feedback at these meetings.
  • Appointments can be made to speak to the class teacher or SENCo at any time by visiting the school office.
  • Sen support plans for those receiving additional support will be discussed with parents each term and parents will receive a copy.
  • The child's progress towards targets on their sen plan will be assessed.
  • Standardised and non-standardised tests may be carried out.
  • The class teacher will suggest ways of supporting your child’s learning.
  • A member of the Inclusion Team may meet with you to discuss strategies to use if support is needed with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs.
  • The parent support worker can carry out home visits and meet with individual parents / groups of parents to enable home and school to be working successfully alongside each other.
  • Reports from outside agencies and specialists will be shared with parents.
What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support, accessible to all pupils, to help them to feel safe and have good relationships.

This includes:

  • Individual or group support and programmes of work with the learning mentors.
  • Well trained teaching assistants and support staff (most have completed CAMHS training on how to support children who are experiencing emotional difficulties due to many factors e.g. bereavement, bullying, exposure to domestic violence, parental separation, low self esteem).
  • Individual or group support from the wellbeing officer to ensure pupils have good mental health.
  • Trained peer mentors to help pupils sort out problems they may be having at school.


Help with attendance


  • Miss Probyn, the Pupil and Family Welfare Officer, contacts parents if there is a concern regarding attendance and works with parents to help improve this. In some situations, such as where a parent or child has a medical need that affects their ability to physically get to school, pupils are collected by the school minibus at the start of the school day.

Pupils with medical needs

  • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled by an appropriate medical practitioner in consultation with parents and the class teacher. These are shared with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Some staff are trained by an appropriate medical person e.g. diabetic nurse, in order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of specific children with medical needs.
  • All school staff receive First Aid training. All staff working in the foundation stage are pediatric first aid trained.
  • Where necessary, and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school where a signed Medication Agreement is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. 

The agencies used by the school include: 

  • SEND (Special educational needs and disability service) This service provides access to specialist language practitioners, dyslexia specialists (for assessment and advice), V.I team and H.I team.
  • Educational Psychologist
  • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Educational Welfare Officer
  • Social Care
  • Child Protection Advisors
  • Speech & Language Therapy service
  • School health service
  • Occupational therapy service

An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. He/she would normally only work directly with pupils whose needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. The school will prioritise which pupils are seen by the educational psychologist based on need and age.

In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed.

He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

All members of staff have received some training related to SEND.

These have included sessions on:

  • How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum.
  • How to support pupils with emotional needs.
  • How to support pupils with dyslexia.
  • Implementing literacy interventions such as the Better Reading Programme and the active literacy kit.
  • Implementation of a range of language programmes e.g. Nursery Nuffield.
  • FS, KS1 and lower KS2 numicon training (multi sensory maths teaching).
  • PECS, Makaton and cued articulation training for practitioners working with specific pupils.
  • Code of Practice 2014 revisited: to be delivered to teaching staff by a member of the SEND team, during the 2017-2018 academic year.
How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?
  • Educational school trips will be planned, as far as possible, that are accessible to all children. Where this is not possible for a pupil, an alternative similar learning experience will be planned for them if possible.
  • Risk assessments will be completed to ensure the safety of all pupils.
  • Appropriate staffing ratios will be put in place to meet identified barriers.
  • All pupils are encouraged to join in with after school clubs.





How accessible is the environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

Facilities we have at present include:

  • Easy access into all classrooms directly from outside.
  • Hearing loop installed.
  • Disabled toilets.
  • Changing table located in one of the disabled toilets.
  • Access to the curriculum e.g. differentiation through success criteria or learning outcome, use of specialist equipment in classrooms.
  •  The school’s accessibility plan is available on our website.
How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

We understand what a stressful time moving schools can be therefore strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These can include:

  • Meetings between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving to share information.
  • Transition visits, where needed, to spend time with their new class teacher. Support assistants may accompany children on these visits.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Inclusion manager and yr6 teachers meet the SENCo from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting is arranged with Miss Cooper, the secondary school SENCo, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil. 
  • Transition support from the Wellbeing Officer for Y6 pupils.
How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?
  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • Each year group has an inclusion support worker allocated to work with children in that year.
  • Pupils may be supported in class, taught in small withdrawal groups or supported 1:1.
  • The process of assess, plan, do and review is followed, with interventions usually lasting for 10 to 12 weeks.
  • Resources that have been recommended to meet the needs of a particular pupil are purchased.
  • The SENCo and inclusion manager carry out an annual whole school audit of need to identify needs and any gaps in provision.
How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
  • The type and amount of support provided is based on individual pupil’s needs and the support which school feel will impact most on their educational, social or emotional development. This is balanced with the staffing that is available at school and the needs of other pupils.
  • We act on advice following consultation with specialists e.g. speech therapists, occupational therapists, educational psychologists, SEND advisers.
  • We strive to equip pupils with the skills which enable them to become independent learners. Too much 1:1 or small group support can make pupils too dependent on adults and can limit their outcomes rather than enhancing them.
  • Pupils with an Education Health and Care Plan, or statement of SEN, will receive the support stated on their plan.
How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?
  • Pupils with additional needs are able to give their views  during the review process. These will be listened to and taken in to account when planning the next steps of the child's education.
  • Pupils often tell the adults who they are working with whether or not they are enjoying a particular intervention. If they are not, we look at why not, and try to remedy this.
  • If a pupil has any worries or concerns, whether it be about something at home or something at school, they are encouraged to speak to somebody about it. We have two learning mentors, a pupil and family welfare officer and a wellbeing officer in school who children can go to talk to. We also have a prominent worry box in school which children can use to put messages in or put their name in and then one of the learning mentors speaks with the child.
  • This year we are carrying out pupil surveys about their views of school life. The inclusion manager will be analysing the results from those pupils with additional needs and will act on concerns raised by any of these pupils.
How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. 

This may be through: 

  • Three meetings during the year with the class teacher, and the inclusion manager or senco where possible, to discuss progress made and next steps.
  • Contributing to the SEN support plan.
  • Discussions at parents evenings.
  • Parents of pupils with an Education and Health Care Plan will meet with the foundation stage senco / inclusion manager, their teacher and support worker to discuss how the plan will be implemented.
How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?
  • We operate an “open door” policy; parents are welcome to speak with teachers at the end of a school day or in pre-arranged meetings.
  • Some pupils have home / school diaries in place if needed.
  • We run regular Family Learning sessions where parents are invited to come in to school and carry out activities with their child.
  • Reception parents are invited in to their child’s class for weekly “time together” sessions.
  • Parents can have regular meetings with our Parent Support Worker who gives tips on many things e.g. managing behavior, putting routines in place, healthy eating, working within a budget. She is also a good link to other support agencies.
  • We have a PTFA that meets regularly and organizes events to help support the school financially.
What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?
  • We hope to be able to resolve any issues that are raised by parents in an amicable way. The following people should be spoken with, in this order if possible, until the concern is rectified: 

    • the class teacher
    • the inclusion manager or senco
    • the principal or vice principal
    • the chair of governors, Mrs Sue Malloy

     An appointment can be arranged with any of these people by contacting the school office.

What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?
  • The SEND Information, Advice and Support Service is based at The Mount Education Support Centre, Mount Avenue, Penkhull, ST4 7JU  Tel 01782 234701; and they provide free, confidential, independent support and advice to parents of pupils with additional


  • Independent Supporters provide support and advice to parents, children and young people with SEN on the transition to the new Education, Health and Care Plans. More information is available on the SENDIASS website.


  • Information about other mainstream schools and special schools, plus information about agencies which provide advice and support in Stoke-on-Trent can be found at:


  • The Parent Engagement Group in Stoke is a chance for parents/carers of children with special educational needs to meet together and discuss educational issues and concerns.  PEGiS meets half termly at The Mount Educational Support Centre, Mount Avenue, Penkhull, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 7 JU. Tel 234701. The meetings usually last for between 1 and 2 hours. The Stoke-on-Trent Safeguarding Children Board has lots of advice for parents:


Sign in to write a review

Back to top