Skip to main content

Packmoor Ormiston Academy

A Primary setting that caters for children from nursery to Year 6.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mr A Moran
Contact Position
Vice Principal / SENCo
01782 234544
Packmoor Ormiston Academy's Website

Where to go

Packmoor Ormiston Academy
Carr Street
Stoke on Trent
Local Offer

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
0-4 years
4-11 years

Schools Extended Local Offer Response 

What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?

The school provides provision, specific interventions and resources to meet the needs of any pupils that fall within any of the four areas of need as outlined in the 2014 SEND code of practice - 

1) Speech, Language, Communication

2) Cognition & Learning

3) Social, Emotional, Mental Health Difficulties

4) Physical, Sensory

How does this setting know if their children/young person needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know when pupils need help if • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child • Limited progress is being made against starting points • There is a marked change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress If you think your child may have Special Needs the class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. Further to this an appointment can be made with Mr Moran who is the SENCO (Special Needs Co-ordinator.

How will the setting support my child/young person?

• Our Provision is centred on raising the achievement of all pupils and equipping them with the tools to achieve this with increasing independence. Where extra support is identified as being required, this will be provided in the form of specific interventions delivered through an individualised programme of provision. • Each pupil's provision will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil's individual needs. This may include additional general support by the Teacher or Teaching Assistant in class as well as more specific interventions. • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education the pupil will be placed on a specific intervention to address their needs and this may be delivered on a 1:1 basis or in a small focus group. These will be administered by the class teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need but will generally be for a term. Before any intervention is started a baseline assessment will be taken and then progress measured against this to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. • These interventions will be recorded on an individual pupil provision maps (this is a record of the interventions, timings, and impact of the provision). If parents have any queries related to the interventions your child may be doing please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO. • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any lack of progress, identify any potential barriers to learning and suggest further support to be implemented. • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as SEND services, Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapy etc. Should we judge that such an intervention is required a referral will be made to the appropriate agency after discussion with parents and with their consent. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers and this will be implemented through amending the pupils provision map.

How will teaching approaches and the curriculum be matched to my child or young person's needs?

• When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. • Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs. • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Provision Map and Pupil Passport identifying the support they require and setting according to their area of need. Progress will be monitored by the class teacher on a regular basis and by the SENCO each term. Provision maps will be discussed with parents at Parents' Evenings and a copy given to them. • If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?

• We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents/carers and teachers, therefore communication between parents/carers and school is of paramount importance. • We offer an open door policy where you are welcome to speak to your child's class teacher at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. • Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCO by visiting the school office. • We have regular reviews and will send home progress reports. We can also offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home. • You will be able to discuss your child's progress at Parents' Evenings and review meetings. • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child. • Mr Moran and the class teacher may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with a child's behaviour/emotional needs. • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and strategies are provided that can be used both at school and at home. • All our pupils with special needs will have a Student Passport which will have individual / group targets. This is discussed on a termly basis and parents are given a copy of the Passport for their records. • Our monitoring and evaluation system closely tracks each child progress and the class teacher may initiate booster sessions for pupils struggling in particular areas.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

• The student’s welfare is of paramount importance. Our school promotes an ethos in which pupils’ wellbeing is extremely important. We strive to establish and maintain an ethos where students feel secure, are encouraged to talk, are listened to and are safe. Children at our school will be able to talk freely to any member of staff at if they are worried or concerned about something. • The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils These include: o Members of staff such as the class teacher, Home School Support Worker (HSSW} and SENCO being readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. o Clubs are available for those who find lunchtimes a challenge. o We have trained Peer Mediators who offer mediation for any pupil that requires it. This is run by the pupils for the pupils and overseen by a member of staff. o A key worker/learning coach being assigned to any pupil who may require such a facility to provide them with extra pastoral or emotional support. • Our curriculum will promote the spiritual, intellectual, personal, social and physical development of all pupils, as well as academic achievement. • The school provides all pupils with the opportunity to achieve their potential within a supportive atmosphere and through personalised learning. Pupils with medical needs • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil. • Where necessary specific training may be given to staff by a medical professional e.g.. cerebral palsy training • Staff receive Epi-pen training delivered by the school nurse. • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine Consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. • There are a number of staff who are trained in either basic or paediatric First Aid.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

The agencies used by the school include: • Autism Outreach Team • Child Protection Advisors • Educational Psychologist • CAMHS (Child& Adolescent Mental Health Service) • Social Services • Children's Therapy Team (Speech & Language/Occupational Therapy) • School Nurse • Parent Partnership • Home School Link Worker • MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) • Education Welfare Officer • Inspire • Disability Solutions • The Boat House (ASD) • School Counselling Service • IFIS (Integrated Family Intervention Service) • Dove Counselling • Aiming High/Crossroads • MIND – Better mental Health • Virtual School • Behaviour Support Services • Stoke-on-Trent SEND Services An Educational Psychologist (EP) is allocated to the school. She will work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded as expected to the interventions previously put in place for them. Before the EP is consulted parents/carers will be informed and their consent obtained.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

• Mr Moran holds the National Award for SEN Coordination (NASCO) from the University of Wolverhampton. This is a masters level national award for the leadership of SEN within a school. • We constantly keep up with the latest developments in provision for our DSEN pupils and endeavour through Continued Professional Development (CPD) courses to ensure all staff are provided with the relevant training. Such training includes – o CPD provided by Stoke-on-Trent SEND services o Training on ASD o Specific Intervention Training o MAPA o Dyslexia Training • All new staff undergo an induction programme which includes a DSEN element.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all. • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.

How accessible is the environment?

Our school is a relatively new build and therefore meets current disability access requirements. We have Accessibility Plan which is updated to meet any changes to national legislation. As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include: • A single storey site that is all on one level. • Entrances into school building being accessible to all. • Two toilets adapted for disabled users. • Wide doors in some parts of the building.

How will the setting prepare and support my child/young person to join the next stage of education and life?

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil's transition to be as smooth as possible. These include: • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving. • All pupils attending Transition sessions where they spend some time with their new class teacher. The amount of session arranged will depend on the specific needs of the pupil. • Mr Moran and new class teachers are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school. • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school and close links with SEN departments of these schools are actively promoted to ensure transition is as smooth as possible. • Mr Moran and class teachers liaise with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to ensure that all relevant information is passed on regarding SEN pupils. • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Mr Moran, the secondary school SENCO, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil. • Additional visits may also be arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.

How are the setting's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

• The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual's needs. • The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year. • Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

• These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher and Senior Leadership Team. • Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies. • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil's lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged. • At every point parents/carers are consulted and informed about any support that is initiated or changed.

How will our child and young person be involved in the decisions about their learning?

Pupils are involved in reviewing their targets on their Pupil Passport and are consulted on what helps them to learn on a day to day basis as well as for specific reviews.

Pupils are consulted and asked for their views as part of the Annual Review process if they have a Statement of SEN or an EHCP. These responses are recorded in a written format  and kept on record.

Pupils contribute ideas and say what they would like to find out about when planning the learning of a new topic in their class.

How will we be involved in the decisions about the learning of our children and young people?

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher.
  • Termly reviews which are discussed at parents' evenings.
  • Comments in home /school diaries and planners
  • During discussions/meetings with SENCO, Home-School Link worker or other professionals.
  • School questionnaires
  • Pupil Passport Review meetings
  • Annual Review meetings for Statements of SEN and EHCPs
How are parents involved in the setting? How can I be involved?

Parents/carers are positively are encouraged to contribute to their child's education. This may be through: • Discussions with the class teacher • Discussions at parents evenings and reviews • Discussions with Mr Moran or other professionals who may be involved • Consultation about next steps and targets that will form part of their child’s passport.

What do I I do if I want to make a complaint?

Any complaint is dealt with sensitively and promptly. 

1. The initial point of contact is the child’s class teacher 

2. Appointments may also be made with the SENCO (Mr Moran) and if further concerns arise then the Headteacher (Mrs May)

 3. If any person feels that their complaint has not been dealt with adequately by the school staff, they are able to contact the named Governor of Special Educational Needs and Disability, Mrs K Round, who will report their concerns to the Governing Body.

4. In addition, the Local Education Authority provides a disagreement resolution service, telephone number on display in the entrance hall. The LA also provides a parent partnership service (SENDIASS) see Question 17 for contact details

What other support Is available to parents and how can I contact them?

Contact the SENCO (Mr A Moran) or Home/School Link Worker (Mrs T Milne) for leaflets/information about a range different support groups and additional services available to support the parents/carers of children with SEND. Some leaflets are on display in the school office.

The LA provides a parent partnership service to support with and guide parents/carers with regards to SEN (SENDIASS)

Tel :  (01782) 236414





Sign in to write a review

Back to top