Horizon Education Alternative Learning (HEAL)
The HEAL programme is a combination of direct home tutoring, supplemented with a personalised curriculum of learning online and through project work, e.g. towards examinations.
Most pupils will engage in our learning programmes for a time limited period, with a view to returning to school or progressing to college, training or employment at the earliest opportunity.
It is well known that many pupils likely to require our services, have a history of interrupted school attendance and learning. For this reason, initial placements of one term/12 weeks or more are preferable, to maximise the potential for success and progression, with pupils better placed to gain the most from our time and expertise.
There is no fixed time limit for a placement, however our aim is to prepare learners for reintegration to either their home school, a new school, including one of our Horizon schools, or other suitable provision. If a pupil is referred to us on a part-time basis only, they should attend school/ other Commissioner approved learning as usual on the agreed designated days.
Depending upon the level of programme commissioned, HEAL Tutors will deliver English, maths and national curriculum or GCSE subjects in the student’s own home or at another suitable venue. Additionally, after the tutoring sessions, the tutor will set online learning activities for the student to complete, which will support the tutoring, using our e-learning software. We have hundreds of hours of online learning available, all of which are monitored and reported on, by the Tutor.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Venture House
- WS11 0LG
Venture House in Cannock is our Head Office base, but the HEAL programme is available across Stoke and nationally.
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type Price on referral Per week
- Costs are available on request as they depend upon the level of provision and number of hours’ direct home tuition and learning purchased by the commissioner of the service.
- Referral Details
The HEAL programme is suitable for all learners who need additional support and who are currently not in a school setting or are children who are missing from education. Referrals can be made directly to the Horizon Referrals Team on 01543 460200 or email@example.com or to the Head Teacher on 01543 520740 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other notes
The HEAL programme is suitable for:
- Children Missing from Education
- Students with ongoing issues causing long-term absence from school
- Students who need support before returning to formal education
- Looked after children relocated to Stoke who are awaiting a suitable education provision
- Permanently excluded and hard to engage students
- Students who cannot attend school for medical or other reasons, e.g. teenage pregnancy
- School refusers, e.g. students with anxiety issues preventing attendance