Requesting an EHC needs assessment

Parental requests for an EHC

Parents have the right to request an EHC Assessment:

The following people have a specific right to ask a local authority to conduct an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for a child or young person aged between 0 and 25:

  • The child’s parent
  • A young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25, and
  • A person acting on behalf of a school or post-16 institution (this should ideally be with the knowledge and agreement of the parent or young person where possible) SEND Code of Practice (2014) 9.8

You are able to send your request to:

SENMAS- People's Directorate
Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Hazel Trees
Duke Street


Duty Number: 01782 231863 - Monday - Friday 9:30 - 3:30

You should include:

  • Your main concerns about an educational need.
  • Reasons why you believe an EHC Assessment is useful.
  • Names of professionals involved.
  • Completed Consent form.
  •  Any copies you have of recent and relevant reports. (optional)

Note: By requesting an EHC assessment you are giving your permission for professionals to be contacted and asked to provide advice. 

We will be in touch following your request:-

Following a request for an EHC needs assessment, or the child or young person having otherwise been brought to its attention, the local authority must determine whether an EHC needs assessment is necessary. The local authority must make a decision and communicate the decision to the child’s parent or to the young person within 6 weeks of receiving the request.

The local authority does not have to consider whether an EHC needs assessment is necessary where it has already undertaken an EHC needs assessment for the child or young person during the previous six months, although the local authority may choose to do so if it thinks it is appropriate. SEND Code of Practice (2014) 9.11

Can anyone help me to request an assessment?

SENDIASS can help parents, carers and young people to make a request. Contact SENDIASS