The Children and Families Act (2014) has introduced a new approach to the way children, young people and their families are supported.
The Local Offer brings together information from education, health and social care about Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) in one place and covers children and young people from birth to 25 years.
The Stoke on Trent SEND Local Offer is a live developing resource which will continue to be developed through contributions from parents/carers, children, young people, professionals and practitioners.
The Local Offer provides information around:
- special educational, health and social care provision for children and young people with SEN or disabilities - this should include online and blended learning
- details of how parents and young people can request an assessment for an EHC plan
- arrangements for identifying and assessing children and young people’s SEN - this should include arrangements for EHC needs assessments
- other educational provision, for example sports or arts provision, paired reading schemes:
- post-16 education and training provision
- apprenticeships, traineeships and supported internships
- information needed to enable a child or young person with SEND to participate, enjoy and achieve their goals.
- specialist services for children and young people with SEN or disabilities who require specialised, longer term support
- information about health and social care services and other provision supporting children and young people with SEN or disabilities.
- information around being independent, preparing for adulthood and things to do
- information on childcare and local groups
- information on where to gain information and advice.